EU Family Permit

EU Family Permit

SRA regulated immigration lawyers with over 30 years of expertise and a proven track record of successfully delivering expert legal advice and representation in all aspects of UK immigration law.

Apply for Family Permit today

The EU Family Permit enables close and extended family members of European Economic Area nationals to join them in the UK, or travel to the UK with them at a later time. Applicants must be related to the family member who they are applying to join in the UK.


The EU Family Permit is designed for non-EEA family members of EEA nationals who wish to come to the UK. There are two types of family permits currently available:

  • The EU Settlement Scheme family permit is open only to close family members of EEA nationals who have ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled’ status under the EU Settlement Scheme.
  • The EEA Family Permit is available to the rest of the applicants, who are family members of EEA nationals who are in the UK. This category allows close and extended family members to apply, such as dependent children, spouses, partners and dependent parents, as well as brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews of the EEA nationals.


Both family permits are valid for 6 months. Upon arrival to the UK, permit holders can apply for pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme. The application for the EEA Family Permit must be made from outside the UK.

If the EEA national is in the UK as a student, the applicant must be either a spouse, civil partner or dependent child of the EEA national or their spouse or civil partner. If the applicant is otherwise related to the EEA national, they must apply as an extended family member.

An extended family member includes:

  • Brother or sister 
  • Aunt or uncle 
  • Nephew, niece or cousin


All extended family members must either be dependent on the EEA national, be a member or their household or have a serious health condition and rely on the EEA national to care for them.  


If the applicant is an unmarried partner of the EEA national, they must be able to show that they are in a lasting relationship.


  • The applicant must be a close or extended family member of the EEA national and be able to produce relevant evidence in support of this.
  • The EEA national must either already be in the UK or be travelling to the UK with the applicant within 6 months of the date of the application for the EEA Family Permit.
  • If the EEA national has been in the UK for more than 3 months they must either have a permanent residence document or be a ‘qualified person’ which includes being employed, self-employed, studying or self-sufficient in the UK.


Experts at Astons law provide you with comprehensive advice on the making an application as a family member of an EU national residing in the UK.

Your Ultimate, Professional Legal Solutions
About astons law

Your Ultimate, Professional Legal Solutions

With over 30 years of expertise in UK Immigration and an extensive comprehension of the complex Home Office rules and policies, Astons Law have an established reputation for effective and efficient management and processing of visa applications, visa extensions and permanent residency and citizenship acquisition.

Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA), Astons Law have a proven track record of successfully obtaining Investor Visas for clients worldwide and operates within a strict set of rules and guidelines designed to ensure that all applicants are treated professionally, courteously and ethically at all times.

Contact us today for a qualified consultation with Astons Law UK Immigration lawyers.

Why choose us

  • Astons LAW

    Over 30 years of UK immigration expertise

  • Astons LAW

    SRA Regulated Lawyers

    Trusted advice guaranteed.
  • Astons LAW

    Discreet & professional service

    From visa application submission to visa extension and UK citizenship acquisition.
  • Astons LAW

    Our approach

    We build lasting relationships with our valued clients, with a firm commitment to continuously delivering excellence.

Need trusted legal advice?

Request a consultation with an Astons Law dedicated lawyer by completing the booking form or giving us a call.

Request a call back
Professional fees for Astons Law Immigration services. We carry out our consultations in person, over the phone, or even by email – whichever option is best for you.

Thank you!
We are processing your enquiry

Our consultants will contact you soon